Ladies, it’s time to talk.
The Women’s Environmental Network’s Environmenstrual Week of Action is taking place from 12 – 19th October and we know that periods can be a tricky thing to talk about, despite our feminist urges and ideals. That’s why we have decided to share with you, our thoughts and experiences on making our very own periods plastic free.
As a committee of five women, we have all made the choice of opting for #PlasticFreePeriods; some of us have been long term converts and some of us have been more recent….. Here are our experiences.
When did we make the switch?
- 7 years ago
- 10+ years ago
- 2+ years ago
Why did we make the change?
- Health concerns, the bleaching of sanitary towels and residual fibres and chemicals present in mainstream period products
- The horrendous amount of waste generated by period products
- Word of mouth, hearing the experiences of others and how much benefit it was bringing them
What are our favourite products and why?
- Organi-cup / Mooncup
- All the protection with none of the discomfort of a lifesucking tampon!
- Kind to our bodies and to the environment
- It makes us feel free from usual period strain
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Never have to worry about having a bag full of spare sanitary products! Wash and go.
- Wuka/thinx Pants
- Great for extra protection if you feel the need
- Reusable sanitary towels
- Also great for extra protection if you feel the need
- Kind to our bodies and the environment
Long story short, we are ever grateful for the switches we have made. Please feel free to drop us a message if you have any questions you think we may be able to help you with 🙂